The Pentameters Theatre began its life in an old skittle alley in August 1968. It moved to two more locations before settling in its current home above the Three Horseshoes pub in October 1971.
Its original intention was to present poetry readings (featuring artists like Ivor Cutler, Fran Landesman, and Ted Hughes), but theatrical presentations began in 1969. The Pentameters has also hosted early performances from comedians such as Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, and Alexi Sayle.
In recent years, the theatre in known for its many classic revivals, and the work of its touring company Traffic of the Stage.
Get social with Pentameters:
- Claire Foy and Matt Smith to star in Lungs at the Old Vic London
- Gate Theatre reveals premieres and manifesto for future
- Queen Symphonic UK Tour 2020
- Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre announce Evita casting
- Friendsical UK Tour
- Indigenous Canadian artists head for Edinburgh
- Bunker Theatre reveals programme of new plays
- Waitress London – new production photos released
- Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford to star in Sunday In The Park With George at the Savoy Theatre, London
- REVIEW: The White Horse Inn, Renaissance Theatre Berlin ✭✭✭✭✭