The Pentameters Theatre began its life in an old skittle alley in August 1968. It moved to two more locations before settling in its current home above the Three Horseshoes pub in October 1971.
Its original intention was to present poetry readings (featuring artists like Ivor Cutler, Fran Landesman, and Ted Hughes), but theatrical presentations began in 1969. The Pentameters has also hosted early performances from comedians such as Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, and Alexi Sayle.
In recent years, the theatre in known for its many classic revivals, and the work of its touring company Traffic of the Stage.
Get social with Pentameters:
- Fear and Misery of the Third Reich comes to Brockley Jack
- Casting announced for Top Hat at The Gatehouse
- Shit-faced Shakespeare return in 2018 with two new productions
- REVIEW: Spongebob Squarepants The Musical, Original Cast Recording ✭✭✭✭
- REVIEW: Miss Julie, Jermyn Street Theatre ✭✭✭✭✭
- REVIEW: Rasputin Rocks, Stockwell Playhouse ✭✭
- The Case of the Frightened Lady UK Tour
- The King and I comes to the London Palladium for limited engagement
- FIRST LOOK: Nativity The Musical
- REVIEW: Picasso, Playground Theatre ✭✭