The musical which chronicles the untold story of the Witches Of Oz, Glinda the Good and Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, has delighted audiences since it opened.
As Wicked turns 10 here are a few great factoids you may not be aware of:-
- Wicked is now the 8th longest running show playing in the West End;
- On November 12 at 2.30pm, Wicked becomes the 18th longest running show in West End History as it surpasses the original run of Miss Saigon;
- Wicked is one of only three Broadway transfers to run for longer than 10 years in the West End, the others being The Lion King and Chicago;
- Wicked was the first show in West End history to gross over £1,000,000 per week, a task it has subsequently repeated many times;
- Wicked has been seen by nearly 8 million people in London and has employed over 1600 people;
- Wicked has raised nearly £1 million for charity through its FOR GOOD programme, including planting over 35,000 new trees in support of The Woodland Trust.
The producers of Wicked have also announced today that Wicked will tour the UK and Ireland in February 2018 opening at the Bristol Hippodrome (tickets on sale 1 February 2017).
Executive Producer (UK) Michael McCabe said: “On behalf of Marc Platt, David Stone, Universal Stage Productions and all of the producers, I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to all of our casts, musicians and production staff who have worked so tirelessly, and with such diligence and dedication, in helping to achieve this incredible milestone. It continues to be an absolute privilege to work with so many exceptionally talented individuals and companies and we couldn’t be more proud of, and grateful to, every single one of you. And to our audiences, who have so passionately supported and championed Wicked over the past decade, we offer our deepest gratitude.”
Everybody here at BritishTheatre.com would like to offer the production team, cast and crew a Happy 10th Birthday! Have a Wicked one!