Riverside Studios began its life in 1933, when the former industrial warehouse became a production studio for the Triumph Film Company. The BBC acquired the studios in 1954, and used the space to film shows such as Hancock’s Half Hour, Play School, and early episode of Doctor Who.
When the BBC left in 1975, the building was taken over by a charitable trust, who employed architect Michael Reardon (who would later design The Swan Theatre in Stratford Upon-Avon) to converted the main sounds stages into multi-purpose spaces. With the appointment of its first Artistic Director (Peter Gill), Riverside Studios became a leading arts venue. Financial crises lead the studios to be used in broadcasting again in the 90s, with shows like T4 and TFI Friday.
To this day, Riverside Studios are used for a mixture of live performances and external TV recordings, as well as cinema screenings, and exhibitions. The space is currently undergoing further redevelopment.
Get social with Riverside Studios:
Riverside Studios News:
- FIRST LOOK: Trailer for Howard – documentary about lyricist Howard Ashman
- REVIEW: Tim Gilvin and Friends, Crazy Coqs ✭✭✭
- Rhys Ifans to star in new version of A Christmas Carol at Old Vic
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road to this year's West End Bares
- Cardiff's own Noel Sullivan joins Tiger Bay musical cast
- Derren Brown brings Underground to Playhouse Theatre this September
- FIRST LOOK: Sienna Miller and Jack O'Connell in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
- Casting announced for Rita Sue and Bob Too tour
- SPECIAL OFFER: An American In Paris – Save Up To 43%
- Casting announced for Fever Pitch the opera